Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My First Time

I thought I would share with you all my first time. No, you dirty birds! Not that first time. The first time I gave birth.

I was young. Like 17 young. It was actually 18 days before my 18th birthday that I woke up with my mom walking into my house to check on me. There I was laying in bed butt-naked because I had woke up earlier thinking that I was on fire. I had gotten up when my then boyfriend (now hubby) got up for work, took a trip to the bathroom and stripped off all my clothes on the way back to bed. I was that hot. My mom should of known then that something was gonna happen. 

Fast forward several hours later to that night. Let's just say Sean and I had participated in a little "canoodling" and were finally going to sleep at about midnight. He was already drifting into dreamland when I rolled my big belly into bed. *Hmph! Men!* I think I had barely gotten laid down good when I felt a weird feeling in my belly.

"Babe, I think something just happened." I whispered.

*grunt*

"I think my water just broke"

"oh"

"Sean, I think my water broke"

"What?"

I stood up...

...GUSSSSSH!

"Yeah, Baby, my water broke."

Finally he gets it. I calmly put on my sweat pants (that were my mom's favorite and I had borrowed from her) and grabbed my little bag for the hospital. The whole while he was running like a chicken with it's head cut off. We hopped (I waddled) into our bean-brown '85 Cavalier. I called my mom to let her know that we were going to the hospital. The phone was busy. Okay, Brandi's on the phone with her boyfriend. We'll just stop by and let her know. You have to understand we lived in a little West Texas town with a little more than 6,000 people. Stopping by Mom's was not in any way out of the way. Once we got there I proceeded to Mom's bedroom knowing that she would be sleeping.

"Mom" -trying to be quiet for some reason.

"Mom, my water broke."

"Well what do you want me to do about it right now?"

"No, Mom, it's Amy. My water broke. We're gonna go to the hospital."

"What are you doing here?! Get to the hospital!"

She had thought it was my sister Brandi who had a waterbed. She thought Brandi was saying that her waterbed had broke. Too funny!

I tell ya, it's a good thing it was a Friday night (rather early Saturday morning) because everyone, including my two little sisters, showed up and stayed most of the night. This was the first grandbaby for crying out loud! We got checked in and set up in the labor room. I so wish I had pictures of this room they had. It was something out of a mad scientist movie. Pea-green tile EVERYwhere. And nothing but a clock to stare at. Talk about watching the clock! I think the intent was to torture women with knowing exactly how long they had been lying there writhing in pain.

At that time, the (one and only) hospital in Childress had these crazy rules of having only one person at a time in the labor room. Maybe due to the small size of the room. Everyone took turns coming to check in on me. I only wanted Baby Daddy in there, though. Not even Mom so much. He was the one that had put me in this predicament, by golly, he was gonna suffer along with me. As I mentioned earlier, he had gotten up and went to work that morning so he was pretty tired. One of the few times I let him leave he had gotten some change from his mom to go the the vending machine and got a brownie. Yeah, I don't know what made him think he needed to eat while I lay in bed about to birth his spawn. It seems karma caught onto that, though because as he went to bite into his brownie, half of it fell on the floor. Yes! One point for Momma! But I digress. 

Finally they came in and offered me an epidural. I happily accepted. At that point they told me that I could rest and even try to get some sleep. So I did. Sean also put his head down for a little bit. A couple of hours later I woke up and rolled back over onto my back. Yep, that's what I said. I had rolled onto my left side and taken a nap. Little did I know that when you do such a thing, all of the medicine from the epidural would also roll to the left side of my body.

I woke up feeling contractions on my right side only. It hurt. I didn't like that. It didn't take much longer and she was a comin'. The problem there you ask? The problem was that the nurses didn't believe me. I would yell at Sean to tell the nurse to get in here. He would do as I told for fear that I may knock him upside the head with my IV stand. He would take a peek. Didn't see anything. He didn't really count though because he had never once in his 21 years seen a baby birthed. 

"GET THE FREAKIN' NURSE! SHE'S COMIIIING!!!"

A nurse eventually shows up. 

Yep, she's crowning.

They move me onto the gurney. Old school, I know. Roll me to the delivery room. Make me move to the birthing chair/bed/thingy. And barely had time to get my legs into the stir-ups. She was a movin'!

They asked if I wanted the mirror to be set up so I could see. Well heck no I didn't wanna see! That was gross!

A couple of pushes and there she was. All 5lbs 4 1/2 ounces of her. She was the smallest baby I had ever seen. I looked up at Sean to see him crying and his first words regarding his newborn babe:

"That wasn't as gross as I thought it would be."

No, it wasn't that bad. She was so cute and so small. She appeared to look just like her daddy. Later she seemed to look more like my sister, Brandi. Now she looks like me. 

So there she was. Our first baby. We took her home a couple of days later and loved her to bits. She's not really in bits and pieces, but we really did love on her a lot. 

By the way, my baby shower for her was supposed to be that day. She was born the 10th and had been due the 14th. My mom had to call around and let everyone know that we were at the hospital and they were welcomed to come up and meet Sage.
I wish I had pictures of us in the hospital with her. Any that we have definitely aren't loaded on the computer. This one is at about 2 or 3 weeks.

If you would like to share your own birthday story you can link up at Mama M's. You got until tomorrow!

Share/Bookmark



5 comments:

CM said...

Oh, look at that little sweetie!

Unknown said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Amy! Look at your beautiful baby! And what a great post remembering that arrival! I especially loved that you were SO happy to get the epidural : ) How funny!

Shana Putnam said...

Awww, I love birth stories. So sweet and she is just precious. I wanted to come by and thank you for entering my giveaway.

Laura said...

Awww, great story and funny too!! The brownie on the floor thing totally made me laugh. :) She was such a tiny peanut, and so adorable!

Shannon K. said...

Bless you for having gone through that so young! Not much older than a babe yourself. Lovely story, and that is one beautiful baby picture. Of course, she's a beautiful young girl today.