Monday, February 15, 2010

Mama Guilt Mondays

What do you do for a kid that doesn't eat the way you think they should?

I have three picky kids and a pretty picky husband to boot which so does not help the matter. Okay, Sage is getting much better about trying new things and Kaitlan will pretty much eat anything you stick in front of her face. Raiden is still choosy about what he will eat.

My problem is with Kaitlan, though. She is a tiny little girl as it is. Right now at 16 1/2 months she is about 29 inches tall and 16 pounds. We were going on monthly visits to the doc to keep tabs on her weight and see whether or not she was growing properly, including blood work to make sure there was no medical condition. Co-pays were never ending, though and I am pretty convinced she's just of small stature being that I am barely 5 foot and my MIL is a towering 4'7"!

Now for where my guilt sets in. Most of the time I can fix something for her, sit her in her high chair and she goes to town. Except for breakfast. I have tried different cereals, toast, oatmeal and I don't know what all else. She likes them, she just doesn't want to eat breakfast. She does nurse, however. I try to not allow her to until she eats food, but she won't always comply. Actually she never complies in the morning. She will however eat the occasional chip or part of a piece of bread while I fix lunch for the big kids.

Since this has been the way she does things for several months now, I have stopped offering her anything at all in the morning here lately. She usually sleeps most of the morning anyway. For example this morning. She actually woke up at about 7:00 and stayed awake while the kids got ready and I took them to school. Once we got home a little before 9:00 I fix a bowl of cereal, sit down with her and offer her some of it. Instead, she just wants her "ti ti". She nursed and went to sleep. Now she'll most likely sleep until around 11:00 and then she'll be ready for lunch.

I feel so guilty for her not eating breakfast in the morning. Especially since she is already so small. I guess that she is healthy, happy and growing is all that matters.

If you would like to link up and get your Mama Guilt off of your chest, join us over at Cop Mama's.
Share/Bookmark



3 comments:

CM said...

My little guys have always been in like the 2-5 % range, but we are small too. How about pieces of cheese? Or little bits of banana?

I know it's stressful, but as long as she's nursing and your DR. isn't too concerned, hopefully sooner or later she'll start eating. Oh, keep in mind, one thing my Dr. told us once is a child will NEVER starve themselves. For some reason, that always made me feel better when one of my boys wouldn't eat.

Thanks for linking up!

Just Jenn said...

Hoppin over from Cop Mama! ;) new follower too! My little ones are always on the margins... I keep sayin to the docs... have you seen their skinny dad!? LOL!

Michelle@DomesticationoftheSingleGirl said...

I'm the youngest of a large family. (Large meaning lots of kids, and big ones at that.)

My mom had dealt with every situation possible EXCEPT a freakishly picky eater. Then I came. She still talks about those days with horror.

Sounds like you're doing everything right.